Monday, May 31, 2010

ASTRO Channel 412 & 511

Are you currently having problems with viewing the above channels on Astro? If you are, this might just solve your problem in the simplest of ways.

Step 1 - Do you own a Panasonic cordless phone? If, yes, is it currently plugged near your Astro decoder?

Step 2 - Turn off or unplug your Panasonic cordless phone.

Voila! Your problem should be solved. If not, call Astro for the technician again.

How did I come to know about this? I have not been able to watch the above channels for a few months. Recently, I got fed up of waiting for it to magically correct itself and called Astro. A report was filed and the Astro technician came to my house a few days later. All they did was turn off / unplug my Panasonic cordless phone and MAGICALLY, I could view Channel 412 & 511 again. I asked for clarification and the technician stated that many people had complained about this and most of the time, it has been because the frequency of the Panasonic cordless phone is interfering with the Astro frequency for those channels.

However, I have had this cordless phone for 4 years and never had trouble viewing the channels until recently. So the technician guessed that Astro could have changed certain frequencies (can't explain more since I don't know anything about this satellite stuff!). Apparently, the technician said one of the customers requested that Astro replace his Panasonic cordless phone since it wasn't his fault that the frequency was interfering with the Astro channels. I wonder what became of THAT request. Hahaha.

So hope this blog post helps some of you having the same problem as us!

12 comments:

Melissa Teh said...

Hi, just dropping a note to say thanks to your posting above. It saved me RM 50...had the same problem with channel 412. This problem not only confined to Panasonic phone as we also tested with Aztech phone and same thing happened. Now we have to swith off the phone if we want to watch this channel. Guessthis is how Astro makes money, huh ? Changing frequency on off so that some customers have to fork out RM 50 to fix. Thank God for internet ! Thanks again.

Kim C said...

Hi! You're very welcome. :) I didn't have to pay the technician who came to my house because Astro said it would be free of charge when I called. Otherwise, I would have made more noise. Thanks for adding that this also happens with Aztech phones. Good info for people out there. Sometimes, I'm not sure why I'm even still signed with Astro. Hahaha...Sometimes, i feel like I'm paying to watch reruns!!

And thanks for visiting my blog!!

Melissa Teh said...

Hi Kimz,
Yeah, I wonder also at times why I'm paying to watch reruns at times ... my 4 years old daughter doesn't seem to mind watching reruns of Disney Playhouse cartoons even though she has watched them for so many times !! Goodness, we can even sing some of the tunes from some episodes...LOL....deja vu feeling...

Anonymous said...

wow ur absolutely right. I always thought something is wrong wit my decoder. I switch off my panasonic cordless phone and walla, problem solved!! thanks buddy! really helped a lot.

Anonymous said...

Bravo, i just solve my problem by reading your forum. Bravo and thanks for posting this. u the best. =)

Kim C said...

I'm so happy to have been able to help!! :) Thanks for visiting my blog!

Anonymous said...

thx god!

its the same for channel 817.

thx alot!

Anonymous said...

Stop by here coz u have an interesting topic. Me too now cant watch 412, 511, 817. Moreover, now is chelsea vs liverpool live on 817. Wondering if my house no panasonic cordless phohe, what other reason might be? Or maybe my neighbour have the cordless phone?

Kim C said...

Hi Anonymous,

We were having the same problem last night again and my husband is none too happy that he couldn't watch his Chelsea team play! I recently changed my phone to Siemens and the same thing happens! I'd like to ask Astro what brand of phone I should buy and are they going to reimburse me the cost of the phone! This is getting ridiculous!

Ajer said...

YOU ARE SUPERB ENGINEER! you just save my fifty bucks and thanks for your unorthodox yet effective solution!

Anonymous said...

Thank You my superb engineer. wonder why i my instinct to click on your link among thousand. Then I know the simple and workable solution is there. Now I can watch re-play my MANU vs Che....

musnaz said...

thank you for your post. I paid 50 ringgit to get this problem solved and astro said it was my cable connection. Their technician came and fix the problem temporarily and it happened again. I tried to fix the cabling for hours without success. Thanks to your blog my problem is solved.