Thursday, August 5, 2010

New hobby!

I have not been updating my blog recently because I am suddenly caught up in all my craft hobbies! I started an ambitious cross stitch project about 7 months ago and still have about 35% to go before I'm finished! It's a picture of a fairy. There is supposed to be a pair of them but I don't know if I'll be able to start on the new one after I am exhausted with this one! Hahaha. Here is a picture of the fairy that I am stitching and what I have done so far...


Completed Picture


Picture is split up into 6 parts. I have finished 3.5 parts!


I forgot to take a picture of the other fairy that I would like to complete but you can sort of see it on the top right hand corner of the completed picture. So wish me luck! I am hoping to finish it by the end of the year! Hahaha. If anyone is interested in cross stitch, I get my materials and threads from this craft shop in SS2 called Yee Button House located at No.33, Jalan SS2/55, Petaling Jaya, Selangor. They can be contacted at 03 - 78770049.

The second and newest hobby I have picked up is cardmaking! I swore I would not pick this hobby up or even scrapbooking for that matter as I know a friend who got into scrapbooking and LOADS of money was spent on materials and tools. I do not remember what was the catalyst that brought me into the craft shop but I was doomed from there on! I thought I could control myself and only buy enough materials and tools to make simple cards. I have always been in love with greeting cards and whenever I go overseas, I would pick up lots of beautiful cards because let's face it, greeting card variety or options in Malaysia SUCK and I see the same cards being sold over and over again every single year!

For those who are interested in scrapbooking or craft material, there are only 3 retail stores that I know of that sells these materials and tools. They are Scrap Book Memories (previously located in the Old Wing at 1 Utama but moving to Tropicana City Mall, located next to Toys R Us), Papier Love located at The Curve and Craft Haven located in 1 Utama. My advice is to shop around before you make any purchases. This is because each store sells relatively different items and prices can vary quite significantly. For example, if you want to buy those Martha Stewart punches, get them from Papier Love as it is much cheaper compared to Scrap Book Memories.

There is also an online store where I find prices are quite reasonable and that is Scrap n Crop. However, I order a lot of my materials and stamps from overseas because even with delivery costs and the conversion, it ends up much cheaper than what I would get here. For example, for those who know, Hero Arts stamps sell for about say RM80 for a set of acrylic stamps. When I order direct from USA, it probably ends up being about RM20 cheaper, and that is including delivery cost!

For those who are interested to purchase items overseas or just to get ideas on scrapbook layouts and card ideas, these are some of my favorite sites to visit:

You can go to YouTube and search for their videos as well. Or maybe you shouldn't because then you'll be hooked and spend loads of money you don't have like me!

Anyway, the post is getting too long, so here are some of the cards that I've made. I will not say they're fantastic because I am still trying to experiment with different materials and techniques. Feel free to leave comments or ask questions!!






No comments: