Friday, February 11, 2011

Artiste Tray with Iris Babao Uy

Sometime back in December 2010, I attended a craft class organised by Made with Love in Singapore with celebrity artist, Iris Babao Uy. Iris is well known to the people in the craft world for her many talents and for those who are new to her, you can learn more about her here. The class that I attended was to complete a Shadowbox Tray by 7Gypsies with pictures of yourself to celebrate the artiste in you.

Since this was my first time attending any type of craft class, I forgot to bring pen and paper to jot down the tips and tricks that Iris shared with the class. Hence, forgive me if I'm unable to mention what materials she used to get certain effects you will see on the completed tray.

The above is the completed tray and I am so loving shadowbox trays now but man, it was a lot of work! The corrugated board you see in the top box and the largest box in the middle is actually made using the packing material that came with the shadowbox. I thought that was cool since you can recycle the packaging. We painted the corrugated boards with cream acrylic paint. I used the Golden brand of acrylic paints.

The flowers are from Prima and the metal charms/embellishments are from7Gypsies (oh except for the metal key hole on the top right, I think that is from the Tim Holtz line). The 'Artiste' lettering is from American Crafts and the butterflies and birds were just fussy cut out from some 7Gypsies papers.



The gold flakes you see above were probably my favorite technique from the class, but you guessed it, I think I forgot what Iris used. I THINK it was gold mica flakes mixed in gel medium. I love how it came out! The bingo chip is from Maya Road. We also used a lot of Tim Holtz's tissue tape for this project.


I think that the shadowbox makes a great display around the house or as a gift to someone special (since it takes a lot of work!)

Thanks for visiting!

No comments: