Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Super Short Trip to Malacca




Last weekend, my husband and I made a short overnight trip to Malacca as he had to attend a wedding dinner in Holiday Inn Hotel. Holiday Inn is the newest hotel in Malacca. Since the hotel is so new, the rooms are great and the staff are friendly and helpful. Only setback is that some staff still do not have a good command of English and at times, I was asked to speak Malay (because he/she didn't understand English)! Anyway, we didn't do much as we reached Malacca at about 1.30 p.m., JUST in time for lunch at hubby's favorite restaurant.


The restaurant is named Teo Soon Loong Chan Teo Chew Seafood Restaurant and is located at 55, Jalan Hang Kasturi, 75200 Malacca. You won't be able to park your car on Jalan Hang Kasturi itself so you would have to find a parking elsewhere and walk to the restaurant. It is a long standing restaurant known for Teo Chew seafood dishes. The owners are a little bit eccentric because the first time that I went to the restaurant, the old uncle did not allow me to ask too many questions on how a particular ingredient would be cooked. He would just say 'just choose your ingredient, everything here is nice!'. And after we picked 2 or 3 dishes, he would say, 'Enough, enough!'. He wouldn't even allow me to order an extra vegetable dish! After that, he would walk around and observe his other customers and if a table didn't finish a particular dish, he'd ask you to finish it because food should not go to waste. Hahaha.


My husband's favorite dish at the restaurant is the Hokkien Mee with Mini Oysters. We also had stir fried spinach with preserved meat (i think it's like 'lap cheong') and stir fried bamboo clams. For dessert, their famous Yam Pudding was a must or 'Oni' as they call it in Teo chew. Suffice to say, the food was yummy and I like eating in a place that's been around for a long time with a little bit of history. :)


The picture below was taken from the pool deck on the 3rd floor of Holiday Inn. I was bored while hubby was at the wedding dinner. The Jetty located next to the hotel houses an array of food and beverage shops. I haven't had the chance to go and look around yet but I will try the next time I'm in Holiday Inn. :)


No comments: